Low-density polyethylene prices
Low-density polyethylene or LDPE is a type of thermoplastic that is manufactured from monomer ethylene, the density of LDPE is between 0.917 and 0.930 g/cm3, it can withstand heat up to 80 °C. low-density polyethylene is not active at normal temperatures, with exception to high oxidizing agents.
Low-density polyethylene (LDPE) was first used by the imperial chemical company back in 1933 via a process called free-radical polymerization, the current worldwide market value of LDPE is estimated to be $35 billion.
The resistance of low-density polyethylene (LDPE)
- LDPE has excellent resistance to concentrated and diluted acids and alcohols
- LDPE has good resistance to aldehydes and vegetable oils
- LDPE has limited resistance to mineral oils and oxidizing agents
- LDPE has a low resistance to halogenated hydrocarbons.
Safety concerns for low-density polyethylene or LDPE
Low-density polyethylene (LDPE) is a relatively low-risk material as it is used in making plastic bags for food and carton boxes for drinks, the problem is rather environmental, LDPE does not decay in nature quickly, it takes more than 200 years for it to dissolve, which means that it is a high environmental risk.
Low-density polyethylene or LDPE is used in many industries such as:
- General-purpose containers and dispensing bottles
- Rust-resistant work surfaces
- Machinable and weldable parts
- Flexible parts such as snap-on lids
- Plastic parts for computer components
- Juice, mild and other drinks cartons
- Playground slides and other playing stuff
- Plastic wrap for food industries
- Packaging for sensitive computer parts such as optical and hard drives
If you are looking into buying Low-density polyethylene or LDPE for your business, the current market price range for the ton range between $1000 and $1050 for the virgin LDPE, and $700 to $800 for the recycled LDPE, the price may change according to quality and quantity of each purchase, and this price does not include shipping or customs if you are importing, so you need to look into these costs as well.